Tuesday, September 15, 2009

New Music Roundup

After many moons, it's that time again... here's a bunch of new music I've been listening to:
  • Blitzen Trapper - Furr (2008). For some reason, when Carrie Brownstein recommended this album from her Monitor Mix blog, I was under the impression that this album was much more edgy and upbeat. I'm not sure whether that expectation spoiled the album, or that this album just wasn't up my alley. In either case, it just didn't do it for me.
    CD Placement rating: Pile of death.
  • Longwave - Secrets Are Sinister (2008). Longwave's 2003's The Strangest Things was absolutely tremendous - it still is in my CD Changer (I may even review it someday, like I've been planning for the last three years). Their 2005 followup, There's a Fire, made it to Sell-back Pile 1. Not so good. This one is not quite The Strangest Things, but it's still pretty damn good. Dreamy shoegazer pop with shimmering guitars. Gets better with more listens.
    CD Placement rating: Portable CD Case.
  • Morrissey - Years of Refusal (2009). My buddy Gavin first properly introduced me to The Smiths, long after they had broken up. It seems Smith fans are broken into two camps about Morrissey's solo career: to them it's either genius or folly. I see it as more of the latter, to be honest, and this really does nothing to dissuade me. Unlike other albums, there isn't a standout track here either.
    CD Placement rating: Pile of death.
  • Screaming Blue Messiahs - Live at the BBC (2009). Reviewed previously here and here, it appears the Screaming Blue Messiahs may, at long last, have been revived as proper re-issues. Wounded Bird Records is re-issuing Gun Shy and Bikini Red this year, and BBC/Hux Records released this live recording this year as well. It's not as good as their 1987 live album release, but it's a nice document of a band that left the scene long before it should have.
    CD Placement rating: CD Rack.
  • The Sea and Cake - Car Alarm (2008). I've been looking for a way into these guys since E-rock recommended them, and this fits the bill. It's low-tempo indie rock with Santana-effected guitar sounds; not something I have gotten into right off the bat, but it's one of those albums I sense I'll get into more and more as time goes on. It's odd when that happens, but nice when it does.
    CD Placement rating: Portable CD Case.
  • Silversun Pickups - Swoon (2009). Let's be clear: this is not as good as 2006's Carnavas (reviewed here). Once you get past that, it's still quite good and definitely worth checking out. It's a little more mellow, with a little less of their "fat" guitar sound, which makes it a little worse than its predecessor. But they are 3-for-3 in my book (including 2005's Pikul), which matches only The Cribs among newer bands. I hope they both keep it up.
    CD Placement rating: Car CD Changer.
  • Paul Weller - 22 Dreams (2008). Thanks to Donna for recommending this one. At first, I was ready to call her out for not telling me just how good this album is; in the end, I was glad she didn't, as it made the whole album and experience a complete surprise. It sounds like a cross between Bruce Springsteen and Jesus Christ Superstar. I'm not a fan of The Jam or The Style Council, but maybe I should be. This is just great.
    CD Placement rating: Car CD Changer.
- Snilch

No comments: