Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Film School - Film School

At the end of last year (amongst the "Best of" lists), I found a pretty interesting column on All Music, called "Under the Radar in '06." I haven't listened to all of these, but if Film School is any indication, these will be some solid recommendations.

Now Film School (2006) does not reinvent the wheel by any means. It sounds like a whole bunch of '80's bands expertly compiled into one sound, with (on the good tracks) a My Bloody Valentine influence. "On & On" and "Pitfalls" don't necessarily go anywhere, but are really nice to listen to. "11:11," on the other hand, has some nice twists and shows these guys are capable of surprises. They just don't throw them in that often.

All in all, this is a very worthwhile lo- to mid-tempo listen, even if you don't like hearing something that sounds like every band you've ever liked rolled into one.

CD Placement Rating: This goes into the portable CD case. Worth listening to again and definitely a keeper.

Merch Rating: I don't feel the need to go back and rediscover their back catalog, but if I could find a swim buddy or two for a show (max $12, I'd say), I'd be willing to give them a listen to see if their sound translates better on stage. And if they were unreal, I'd buy a t-shirt.

-Snilch

P.S. If anyone has heard Arcade Fire's Neon Bible, I'd love to hear what you think of it; I've heard mixed reviews. (If you don't own their Funeral, you should get it immediately. Seriously -- what are you thinking?) So send me an e-mail if you've checked it out.