Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Barrence Whitfield and the Savages - Dig Thy Savage Soul (2013)

I wasn't even aware that Barrence Whitfield and the Savages had a new album until I saw their blistering performance on Later... With Jools Holland.  Normally, I'd blame the lack of 120 Minutes, alternative radio, and my general avoidance of the music press, but I find it makes me feel much better to blame others. Therefore, I am blaming Andrew for not making me aware of this.  (Even though it's possible he did and I forgot.)  But that's neither here nor there -- ultimately, the only conclusion we can draw is that Andrew is just very disappointing.

First, let me just say that it's actually refreshing to hear a band with sax in this century.  (I said "sax," you pervert.)  It's enough distance from the 80s where they are allowed back in rock again.  And in general, the album does feel like a great 80s throwback rock n roll attack.

For those of you who saw "throwback," groaned, and crossed this off your list, STOP.  This album is what I always hoped The Stray Cats would turn in some day -- a blues-based rockabilly stomp.  And Barrence... well, he's got the voice of an angel and a devil, all rolled into one.  Simply ridiculous. That is worth the price of admission alone.

This is an album that is fun, has legs, and plenty of sax.  (Creep.)  I'll have to check out some of their back catalog for sure.

CD Placement rating:  Car iPod.

- Snilch

No comments: