Friday, July 18, 2014

Superchunk - I Hate Music (2013)

Admittedly, Superchunk is not a band I typically listen to.  But I was assigned 2010's Majesty Shredding, which was great.  So this one I picked up without hesitation.

Now I do have to say that calling your album I Hate Music means either that you've got a great sense of humor, or you're the kind of miserable person who opens a bar called "I Hate Alcohol and Sports on TV."

It all starts well enough; "Overflows" is a very nice opening track.  It's storytelling indie-rock, and this offering is politely loud.  Maybe "Me and You and Jackie Mittoo" would be great if I were a musician, but it sounds a little like inside baseball to me.

What's most surprising, though, is that this album isn't that adventurous.  The elements are all here for great songs or even a great album; but (at least to me) it never becomes cohesively interesting as a group of songs.  Now when they do pull it all together (e.g., "Low F," "Breaking Down," or "Your Theme"), you get a reminder of what made them alt rock legends:  they bend the music to their will in a way that was (and is) "good."  (This is a technical term that I won't explain, but please feel free to look up.)

In the end, I'm not enough of a Superchunk fan to appreciate this in context, and the album isn't good enough to work as a standalone.

CD Placement rating: Sell-back 1.

- Snilch

No comments: