Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Todd May - Rickenbacker Girls (2013)

This album was a total shot in the dark, but it proves that if you put an image of the state of Ohio on the cover of your album, I may just pick it up.  (I will also be tempted by any reference to Goofus and Gallant.)  So I had no idea what I was in for -- I didn't even look at reviews.

It opens as a bluegrass/country/rock hybrid with emphasis on organ/keyboards.  And that's how Todd May rolls.  

It's ultimately a good album but not for me.  I'll keep "Mercy," "Better Way to Build a Rocket," "Why Don't You Come Out Lately" (where they veer into Drive-by Truckers territory), and maybe "Gadflies and Magpies." 

Ultimately it's not quite country, and it's not quite rock 'n roll, which is good and bad.

CD Placement rating: Sell-back 1.

- Snilch

No comments: