Tuesday, January 08, 2013

The Eleventh Blog of Christmas: The Cribs - In the Belly of the Brazen Bull (2012)

I've reviewed The Cribs a number of times.  I've called them "alternative rock at its logical extension", "solid, decent", "'below average' but still a B+", and "really pretty bland overall".  You see where their career is going.

At first blush, In the Belly of the Brazen Bull is a step back up.  The first three songs ("Glitters Like Gold," "Come On, Be a No-One," and "Jaded Youth") are right there with any album.  At that point, I really thought I was getting the next Sugar Copper Blue -- yes, it's that good.

The rest of the album, unfortunately, is more cutting-room floor material.  The dropoff is staggering -- it's like a replacement band stepped in and did the rest of the album.  I turned the volume up at one point to make sure I wasn't missing anything.  I was not.



In short:  one of the best 3 song EPs you will ever hear.  A rough 14-track album that just never, ever, ever seems to end.

CD Placement Rating:  I think it has to be Sell-Back Pile 1.  After those first three songs, that seems pretty much impossible, but it is what it is.

Merch Rating:  I'll have to downgrade their next album to "wait and see reviews first."  I will not being going to a show either.

- Snilch

No comments: