Friday, May 15, 2015

Boris - Noise (2014)

First impression:  Boris is a heavier Sun Dial. This one is heavy and it's good. (Bubba's headphones will be blasting this shortly, I'm sure.) 

I've heard Boris before -- I bought 2006's Pink (in 2006 no less, Barry) but really didn't like it.  They have progressed significantly since then; this is smoother, while still embracing their penchant for experimentation.

It's abrasive and slightly amped up metal, while retaining the melody. "Vanilla" is a highlight. On songs like "Heavy Rain," they sound a lot like Jesu's trademark "dirge metal," which is always a good thing in my book (and I'd guess Martin's as well). In general, it's a little all over the place; I had to check to make sure this wasn't a compilation. (It's not.) And yes, there is an 18 minute long track on this album -- "Angel," which is awesome.

Boris - "Vanilla" (no, not the 18 minute long track)

There's more to like here than not, but it's a touch inconsistent.  Not for those afraid of the rawk.

CD Placement Rating:  High-end Portable CD Case, low-end Car iPod.

- Snilch

No comments: