Monday, May 04, 2015

The Hold Steady - Teeth Dreams (2014)

Admittedly, I've always liked the idea of The Hold Steady more than their albums.  Which raises the question as to why I picked this one up -- was it front man Craig Finn's great cover of Hϋsker Dϋ's "Real World?  Some advanced praise that declared this "their best album" or some such hype?  Lack of impulse control?  (The answer is likely "d) all of the above.")

In any case, somehow I got there, and damn it all if this is not The Hold Steady album I've been waiting for.  It's less rough around the edges than other Hold Steady albums, and Finn sings more than the usual warbly spoken vocals I'm used to.  (Gentle readers, please realize that this sentence is probably why I'll love this album, but long-time Hold Steady fans might be jumping off the train at this station.)

The Hold Steady - "I Hope This Whole Thing Didn't Frighten You"

It's great, fun rock n roll with a lot of energy.  It drags a bit in the second half, but that's a quibble.  A fine album.


CD Placement Rating:  Portable CD Case.

- Snilch

No comments: